Inverness, Scotland



 



Tree: Eby/Aebi and Bernethy Family
Notes: Inverness (Scottish Gaelic) Inbhir Nis is a city[2] in northern Scotland. The city is the administrative centre for the Highland council area,[3] and it is promoted as the capital of the Highlands of Scotland.[4] Inverness is unusual in that although there are letters patent, dating from 2001, the city has no statutory boundaries. Tourism is important to the city's economy, as are service industries and healthcare.[citation needed]

The city lies where the River Ness enters the Moray Firth and is a natural hub for various transport links. A settlement was established by sixth century AD, the first royal charter being granted in the thirteenth century. It lies near the site of the eighteenth century Battle of Culloden.

Inverness has a population of 66,600 and is represented in both the Holyrood and Westminster parliaments and is also twinned with three other European cities. The city is home to numerous sporting and cultural groups and events, including the annual Highland Games and football club Inverness Caledonian Thistle F.C., who play in the Scottish Premier League as well as Clachnacuddin F.C. who play in the Highland League. Inverness College is the hub campus for the UHI Millennium Institute. City status was granted in 2001.

Scottish Gaelic appears on the majority of road signs around Inverness, with around 3,555 people (5.47% of the population) speaking the language.


City/Town : Latitude: 57.476695, Longitude: -4.231453


Tree: King of Scots
Notes: Inverness-shire also known as the county of Inverness, or Siorrachd Inbhir Nis in Gaelic, was a general purpose county of Scotland, with the burgh of Inverness as the county town, until 1975, when, under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973, the county area was divided for local government purposes between the two-tier Highland region (Inverness, Badenoch and Strathspey, Lochaber, and Skye and Lochalsh districts) and the unitary Western Isles. The county survived for registration purposes and, at the same time, the Inverness lieutenancy was defined as having the boundaries of the Highland districts of Inverness, Badenoch and Strathspey, and Lochaber.

Inverness-shire acquired a county council in 1890, under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1889, and, under the same legislation, boundaries were altered to make the county a single contiguous area (except, of course, for island areas of the county).

Although the new boundaries were supposed to be valid for all purposes (unlike earlier boundaries, which were really default boundaries and not necessarily those used for any particular purpose), the burgh of Inverness, the burgh of Fort William, and the burgh of Kingussie, which had their own town councils, retained autonomous status and were generally beyond the writ of the new county council. The town of Inverness had been established as a royal burgh since the mid 12th century, Fort William, originally with the name Gordonsburgh, had been established as a burgh of barony since 1618, and Kingussie had been established as a burgh of barony since 1464. Also, use of the new boundaries for parliamentary elections was specifically excluded.

The Boundary Commissioners for Scotland, a body created by the 1889 act, transferred part of the parish of Cawder and part of the parish of Croy and Dalcross from the county of Inverness to the county of Nairn, part of the parish of Petty and two parts of the parish of Daviot and Dunlichty from the parish county of Nairn to the county of Inverness, part of the parish of Kilmallie and part of the parish of Small Isles from the county of Argyll to the county of Inverness, and part of the parish of Kilmorack from the county of Inverness to the county of Ross and Cromarty. Thus the county of Inverness covered a large mainland area and various island areas off the west coast. The mainland area had coastline in both the east and the west and included the towns of Kingussie, Fort William, and Mallaig. The island areas included North Uist, South Uist, and Harris in the Outer Hebrides, and Skye, and the Small Isles in the Inner Hebrides. The county had neighbouring counties as follow: Ross and Cromarty to the north, Nairn, Moray, Banff, and Aberdeen to the east, and Perth, and Argyll to the south.

In 1972, the Isle of Rockall Act was passed, formally incorporating the tiny island of Rockall into Scotland as part of the Isle of Harris, Inverness-shire. Harris is now within Na h-Eileanan Siar, formerly known as the Western Isles local government area.


City/Town : Latitude: 57.4766949, Longitude: -4.2314535


Birth

Matches 1 to 3 of 3

   Last Name, Given Name(s)    Birth    Person ID   Tree 
1 McGillivray, Donald Roy  1741Inverness, Scotland I618058877 Eby/Aebi and Bernethy Family  
2 McGillivray, Farquhar  26 May 1769Inverness, Scotland I618071325 Eby/Aebi and Bernethy Family  
3 Mcgillivray, John  01 May 1771Inverness, Scotland I618071326 Eby/Aebi and Bernethy Family  

Died

Matches 1 to 3 of 3

   Last Name, Given Name(s)    Died    Person ID   Tree 
1 McGillivray, Ann  05 Feb 1834Inverness, Scotland I618071327 Eby/Aebi and Bernethy Family  
2 McGillivray, John Lachan  06 Feb 1852Inverness, Scotland I618058866 Eby/Aebi and Bernethy Family  
3 McKintosh, Janet  1878Inverness, Scotland I616966055 Eby/Aebi and Bernethy Family  

Married

Matches 1 to 1 of 1

   Family    Married    Family ID   Tree 
1 McGillivray / McTavish  26 Jan 1764Inverness, Scotland F547123881 Eby/Aebi and Bernethy Family  
Home Page |  What's New |  Most Wanted |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates |  Reports |  Sources